[iterm2-discuss] Minimum supported OS version for iTerm2 will be 10.12
George Nachman
2018-07-03 20:05:36 UTC
I did my best to keep the patient alive, but macOS 10.11 is terminally
buggy. I'm afraid that 3.2.0beta6 and all future nightly builds will
require macOS 10.12. The main drivers for the decision were:

1. Metal on 10.11 is not usable. It suffers from heap corruption. The main
difference between iTerm2 version 3.1.6 and 3.2 is the new Metal renderer,
so there's little incentive for a user to upgrade.

2. The big one: autozeroing weak references are not reliable on 10.11. This
has been the cause of most crashes in the 3.2 branch. I postponed using
this about as long as reasonably possible, but it can't wait any more. Not
having weak references makes asynchronous operations extremely painful to
implement.