[iterm2-discuss] Dynamic Profiles + Window Arrangements
Greg Malkov
2018-10-05 14:24:03 UTC
Hi All,

Here's what I tried to do:

- Set up a parent dynamic profile that defines an ssh session to an
arbitrary node
- Set up child profiles that tail specific log files
- Set up a window arrangement to arrange these log tails

When I change the username/ip of the node in the parent profile, the
children inherit that change and I can successfully tail all of the logs
from the new node.

HOWEVER

When I try to restore a window arrangement from the profiles that was saved
when the parent profile was set to a different node, the window arrangement
comes up with the old node's IP/user. So it seems that the profile changes
do not propagate to the window arrangement.

Is this behavior intentional? Is there a way I can accomplish what I want,
that is, change the IP/user in one place and be able to bring up a window
arrangement tailing all the logs I need for that node?

Thanks for your time,

-Greg
George Nachman
2018-10-05 20:12:53 UTC
As long as the child's GUID has not changed this should work. Do note that
changes to a parent profile are not reflect in the child until the child is
either deleted & recreated or iTerm2 is restarted.
Hi All,
Greg Malkov
2018-10-05 20:55:14 UTC
So I have tried restarting iTerm and it does not seem to update the user/ip
in the window arrangement my flow:

- Make parent and child profiles
- Create window arrangement from child profiles
- Close iTerm2
- Update parent with new user/IP
- Open iTerm2
- Attempt to restore window arrangement
- Window arrangement comes up trying to log in to the now nonexistent
old node

Does this seem like it should work?

Thanks!
Post by George Nachman
As long as the child's GUID has not changed this should work. Do note that
changes to a parent profile are not reflect in the child until the child is
either deleted & recreated or iTerm2 is restarted.
Hi All,
George Nachman
2018-10-16 05:25:32 UTC
Yeah, that sounds like it should work. Would you mind filing an issue? I'm
a bit overwhelmed with fighting fires right now. macOS Mojave turned out to
have a lot more problems than I had expected. I will get back to you as
soon as I can breath again :)
Post by George Nachman
As long as the child's GUID has not changed this should work. Do note
that changes to a parent profile are not reflect in the child until the
child is either deleted & recreated or iTerm2 is restarted.
Hi All,