[iterm2-discuss] Missing option to disable GPU rendering in 3.2.0?
r***@meshdharan.com
2018-08-10 20:23:50 UTC
I'm running iTerm2 build 3.2.0 downloaded
from https://iterm2.com/downloads/stable/iTerm2-3_2_0.zip.

I'm having some performance problems (severe lag, frame rates < 10 fps and
sluggish response) along with high CPU usage and I'd like to see if
disabling the Metal renderer could help.

Unfortunately I can't find the documented preference setting. According
to https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/wikis/Metal-Renderer, it should be in
Prefs > General > GPU Rendering, but I don't have anything GPU related
there, and searching doesn't reveal any preferences with 'GPU' in the name
or description:

[image: Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 4.21.55 PM.png] <about:invalid#zClosurez>

I do have a few Metal-related settings though, and I can confirm that the
Metal renderer is being used if I enable the framerate setting since I see
the framerate (and it's terrible).

[image: Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 4.22.18 PM.png] <about:invalid#zClosurez>
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

--Ramesh
George Nachman
Ramesh Dharan
2018-08-11 00:20:27 UTC
Thanks!

And FWIW some further experimentation suggests that the real issue is my
resolution, either the sheer number of pixels or the fact that it’s
non-standard (I recently switched to a 32” external display that I set to
3200x1800 using QuickRes - http://www.quickresapp.com). I’m using an older
15” MBP with only integrated graphics and seems like it just can’t keep up.
Metal/GPU vs. CPU rendering doesn’t make much of a difference, and
Terminal.app struggles too.
George Nachman
2018-08-11 01:06:44 UTC
I had the same setup at work. The gpu doesn’t have enough memory is my
theory. You should try the next 3.2 beta when it comes out. There’s a new
feature to detect this situation and render fewer frames concurrently,
which ought to help.