[iterm2-discuss] Linking to iTerm2 from a browser via iTerm2:// protocol/scheme
Oliver Nassar
2018-06-16 18:15:06 UTC
I've conveniently discovered that I can trigger the web browser to open up
iTerm2 if I encoded a link with the following:

*iTerm2://string*

I'm trying to figure out how to have the new iTerm2 window have a default
command in it, and better yet, have the command be executed.
I imagined it would be something like:

*iTerm2://command+string+<run>*

Is this possible?
Haven't been able to find a solution to this via Google.

Thanks1
Rick Hornsby
2018-06-16 22:38:06 UTC
You might want to check out Alfred, which has the kind of Terminal/iTerm support I think you’re asking about, doesn’t require you to bring up your browser, and has a bunch of other super useful stuff besides.

https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/better-iterm-integration-in-alfred/
Oliver Nassar
2018-06-16 22:54:13 UTC
Thanks for the response. I use Alfred but I want to integrate it into a web
browser to allow our admins a stardard way of deploying a script. Is that
not possible?

I figure iTerm2 must do something with the text after the :// ...
Post by Rick Hornsby
You might want to check out Alfred, which has the kind of Terminal/iTerm
support I think you’re asking about, doesn’t require you to bring up your
browser, and has a bunch of other super useful stuff besides.
https://www.alfredapp.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/better-iterm-integration-in-alfred/
—
Oliver Nassar
George Nachman
2018-06-18 18:28:28 UTC
There were two days in 2011 that the code registered this URL scheme. It
was removed because it's a security risk. I guess your launch services
database still holds the dangling reference, but all it does now is open a
window.

I hope that a URL scheme is not the right answer to your problem, whatever
it may be :)
Oliver Nassar