Beta 2 released!
George Nachman
2011-06-01 07:14:47 UTC
Hi iterm2-discuss,

iTerm2 beta 2 has been released! It is almost entirely a bug-fix release.

If you have installed the 5/29 nightly build, this is the same binary,
just re-branded as Beta 2.

Enhancements:
- For the first time in iTerm history, when nothing is happening, CPU
usage is at 0%!
- Allow substring searches of profiles. To use, start your search with
*. For example, *x matches all tags and profile names containing the
letter x.
- Add preference to control whether lines are added to the scrollback
buffer when a status line is visible.
- Add preference to allow Hotkey Window to switch spaces when it
closes but return focus to the correct terminal window (vs staying in
the same space but not returning focus).
- Performance improvements for people with lots of profiles.

Bug fixes:
- Fix bug where spaces indicator hangs when you have a hotkey defined;
also fixes compatibility with Synergy and various other programs.
- Fixed bug in parsing 256-color control codes.
- Fix bug with shift-click to extend a selection.
- Prevent clicks that bring iTerm2 to the foreground from accidentally
making a selection.
- Change how job names are gotten to prevent terminal becoming
non-responsive sometimes.
- Improve growl behavior when a session ends.
- Better support for ssh, ftp, and telnet scheme handlers.
- Fix flickering of status bar when scrolling vim.
- Allow instant replay memory usage to be set to 0.
- Don't close hotkey window when prefs window opens.
- Improve selection of dotted-words in smart selection and add
semicolons to URL matching.
- Improve URL parsing when a URL wraps around lines with a hard newline.
- Fix param escaping in "search google" feature.
- Handle changing the number of screens with fullscreen and top of
screen windows.
- Memory leak tied to keypresses fixed.
- Improve wording in prefs dialog.
- Improve visor behavior when switching to a terminal or profiles window.
- Make fullscreen and scrollbars work under 10.7.
- Fix crash when going to prev/next pane.
- Fix crash when searching.
- Allow cmd-click to open a file/url in an inactive tab.
- Don't turn off transparency automatically when opening a fullscreen window.
- Fix bug where zooming on a multi-screen system would cause the
window to jump to a different screen.
- Performance improvements for autocomplete.
- Suppress growl messages when resizing a window with many tabs.
- Fix use selection for find to work standardly.
- Respect key bindings when focus is in a text field.
- Hide hotkey window when clicking the dock icon.
- Don't hide menu bar when fullscreen window is not on main screen.
- Handle dragging tabs of all window types into a new window.
- Make reuse tab's directory work when opening a new window, not just a new tab.
- Hide hotkey window from expose.
- Don't show menu bar when hotkey window is hidden if current term is
fullscreen.
- Allow cmd-w to close the about box.
- Improve perceived brightness formula for contrast calculations.
- Fix bug where bold fg was used to compute bg brightness.
- Fix bugs in computing smart cursor color.
- Swap positions of OK and Cancel buttons in edit key bindings dialog.
- Change default left option key behavior to normal to avoid confusing
non-US keyboard users.
- Don't hide menu bar when hidden hotkey window becomes key.
- When clicking on a background window, don't report xterm mouse down.
- Fix hang when you run an app that aborts and tries to fork gdb in
error handler for stacktrace.
- Update display immedately after Cmd-R or Cmd-K.
- Swap find next and find prev behavior.
- Don't save lines to scrollback buffer in alternate screen mode.
- Escape more shell characters when dragging a file into a term.
- Fix link to home page.
- Removed unnecessary logging by Growl code.
- Added assert statements.
- Don't warn about outdated key mappings if modifying a global action
and no profile has it.
- Set ^T as status char in tty.
- Keep window from resizing when you open a new tab and the existing
tab has split panes.
- Improve resizing behavior of screen contents.
- Fix bug where window slowly grew when toggling fullscreen.
- Fix bug where the wrong line was highlighted when doing a search
while scrolling with a full buffer.
- Fix crash where a session dies while in instant replay and then you
close the window.
- Fix bug where session size isn't restored properly when exiting
instant replay.
- Fix assertion in VT100Screen
- Add default key mapping for ctrl-tab to send tab.
Tom Feist
2011-06-01 10:17:04 UTC
Congrats, that's a hell of a bugfix/feature list!

It's been about a week ago since I made the switch from Terminal.app +
Visor, and everything is going remarkably
well (Plus the bonus of not having to reverse engineer and haphazardly
inject code into system utilities to make
changes).

Do you have any sort of roadmap for feature releases lined up? I know
we're in a feature freeze for 1.0, but
what counts as being 'ready' for that?

I keep having a look at the bugs list, but most of them I either can't
reproduce, or fixes are waaaaay out of my
depth. I'll stick to simple feature additions on the git dev branch
for now, and hopefully have some shinies
ready for 1.1 :-)

One final point: Are you planning on keeping the googlecode svn and
github versions synced, or was there a plan
to move to git(hub) full time at some point (I have very vague
recollections of seeing it mentioned somewhere)

Anyway, thanks again for all the effort you, and everyone else, has
put into this app.

Cheers,

Tom.
George Nachman
2011-06-01 16:15:19 UTC
Thanks, Tom. 1.0 will be released when two weeks pass with no
"significant" bugs and there are no fixable crashing bugs left (those
with unusable stack traces can't be helped).

I'm going to focus on getting tmux integration working for 1.1. That's
a very large feature and it will keep me busy for a while. Read more
here: http://code.google.com/p/iterm2/wiki/TmuxIntegration

If you (or anyone else) are interested in picking up some features to
implement, I think these are the ones with the most need:

- Syncing prefs (issue 131}
- Underline URLs on mouseover (issue 175)
- Draw line-drawing chars by hand (issue 271)
- Use Chrome-style tabs (issue 499, includes a link to the lib)
- ZModem support (issue 501)
- Rearranging panes (Issue 526 - this is one is difficult to do)
- Auto-logging output to disk (issue 533)
- Send input to all panes in current tab (issue 543)
- Applescript support for split panes (issue 559)
- A global "turn off tabs" switch, changing all manner of defaults
(issue 593, but more than described there)
- Warn about very long/multiline pastes (issue 594)
- Copy Chrome's "Confirm to Quit" UI (issue 611)
- Option to show tabs in fullscreen (issue 624)
- Add multitouch actions to keybindings (issue 648)
- Add UI for adjusting split pane dimming amount (issue 725)
- Add visual indication that a pane is maximized (issue 730)
- Select what's under the cursor when you right click (issue 735)
- Keyboard shortcut to reorder tabs (issue 740)
- Turn cursor into cross in block selection mode (issue 778)
- Dim inactive windows (issue 878)
- Raise the dock when the cursor hits the bottom of the screen in
fullscreen mode (issue 932; also show menu when cursor at top)
One final point: Are you planning on keeping the googlecode svn and github
versions synced, or was there a plan
to move to git(hub) full time at some point (I have very vague recollections
of seeing it mentioned somewhere)
Googlecode will see its demise after 1.0. If someone's looking for a
really dull task, we'll need to port all the issues over to github
(but only after 1.0 is released).
Michael Greb
2011-06-01 18:46:13 UTC
Post by George Nachman
Googlecode will see its demise after 1.0. If someone's looking for a
really dull task, we'll need to port all the issues over to github
(but only after 1.0 is released).
If there are no other takers for this one, I'm game. I'm a perl
developer so it's my kind of task ;)
--
Michael
***@thegrebs.com
M: +1-562-MIKEGRB
Tom Feist
2011-06-02 13:05:36 UTC
Hey,

I'm in the process of looking into the syncing preferences stuff, and
also some general preferences refactoring and UI cleanup, so I'll
provisionally
claim 131. That said, if anyone wants to help out, or has ideas, feel
free to
contact me and we can work together on it. I've got a clone of
Georges github
repo at <url:https://github.com/shabble/iTerm2>

I've also been trying to find an acceptably performant approach to
175, but I
suspect I'm going to need help/advice on this one, but I'll help out
where
possible.

Good to know about the move to git - sending pull requests and being
able to comment
on them and whatnot is much nicer than attaching patches.
Looks like there's an API for the issues at
<url:http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTrackerAPIReference>,
and I know
GitHub has an API, so scripting it up for the move shouldn't be too bad.
I think Mike Greb claimed this yesterday, but again, I'll help out if
needed.

Cheers,

Tom
Tim Gray
2011-06-02 13:35:17 UTC
Post by George Nachman
I'm going to focus on getting tmux integration working for 1.1. That's
a very large feature and it will keep me busy for a while. Read more
here: http://code.google.com/p/iterm2/wiki/TmuxIntegration
I'm glad to hear this is in the works. I switched over to tmux from
screen a month or so ago since you hinted on the list that this might
happen, hoping that it might actually happen.
Edward Marczak
2011-06-01 13:07:05 UTC
I suspect you didn't update the version string, as using the "Check
for Update..." or manually downloading still produces "Build
0.20.20110529". "Check for Updates" *always* thinks there's an update.

w: http://www.radiotope.com/writing
Managed Prefs Book: http://goo.gl/8iVmo
MacTech Conference: http://www.mactech.com/conference
George Nachman
Jarkko Oranen
2011-06-01 08:47:00 UTC
Post by George Nachman
Hi iterm2-discuss,
iTerm2 beta 2 has been released! It is almost entirely a bug-fix release.
Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work. Certain features made me stick to the original iTerm despite its bugs, so I am happy to see it gain new life as iTerm2.

I've been running the latest nightly, so far without a hitch. It seems 1.0 might not be far away. :)
newellista
2011-06-01 21:12:27 UTC
First, let me say that I love iTerm2! Thanks for all your hard work.

I just updated to beta2. One of the "Enhancements" that I don't like
is the transparency in fullscreen staying. I liked that before, when
I went to full screen, the transparency went away, but if I toggled
back to windowed mode, the window was transparent. Is there any way I
can go back to that setting?

Thanks again,

Steve
George Nachman
2011-06-01 21:58:47 UTC
Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, that setting was confusing to a large number
of users. You can toggle transparency with Cmd-U, so it's pretty easy to
turn it off when entering full screen mode.
rm
2011-06-02 18:57:03 UTC
Been using iTerm for several years now -- love it -- but this morning when I
updated iTerm to Beta2, tabs no longer dispay. I can use a hot-key to get
back and forth between tabs, but I can't see the tabs. I played with the
settings -- I don't know what I did --- but the tabs did appear, but when I
closed iTerm and opened it up again I lost tabs again.
George Nachman
Sean Morgan
2011-06-03 00:43:00 UTC
Thank you George for fixing this. I've encountered the same problem.
Is there a workaround in the meantime?

rm mentioned fiddling with the settings until it worked but I've had
no such luck and I'd love to see my tabs in the interim. Don't mind
adjusting each time I launch but not seeing tabs is messing with my
mojo.

Sean
George Nachman
2011-06-03 01:01:17 UTC
I should've mentioned this, the workaround is to change the # of rows
in prefs->profiles->window to be smaller than the height of your
screen. If it's equal or greater then this bug is triggered.
Sean Morgan
2011-06-03 01:45:18 UTC
Thanks for the reply but before I got it I discovered that changing either
the tab style or tab position and toggling 'Show border around window' got
my tabs back. I'll keep an eye out for the next nightly.

Sean
Richard Masci
2011-06-03 12:58:22 UTC
Went to iterm2 site, downloaded the nightly build -- but it said it was from
5/29. Tabs still didn't work. I did notice that iTerm2-beta2.zip
"Amazingly bug free" :D You jinxed yourself with that one!! :D Anyway, I
downloaded the source, unzipped it, typed make and a few min. later my
problem was solved.

Thanks again for a great application -- I couldn't do my work without it.
pjv
2011-06-03 16:59:34 UTC
wow. with all the bug fixes in this beta, iTerm 2 now feels really refined
and smooth.

congrats and thanks for all the hard work.
Richard Masci
2011-06-03 19:46:13 UTC
I concur. ITerm2 beats the heck out of anything you'd find on Windows or on
Linux!
George Nachman