[iterm2-discuss] Highlight on hover/select.
Charlie Ross
2018-06-13 19:45:25 UTC
I guess this is a feature request, (unless someone knows a trick to get
what I am looking for already?)

I'd like to be able to hover my mouse over a word, and then have all
occurrences of that word highlighted.
And/Or, if I actually select a word (or words), I'd like all occurrences of
that selection highlighted.

Not sure how these two should interact.
I guess one option would be for the selection-highlighting would override
the hover-highlighting. (Only one active at a time).
Another option would be for them to operate independently.
Not sure I'd have strong preference either way, really.
George Nachman
2018-06-13 23:59:28 UTC
As an extension to search this would be very slow, but if it's only to
highlight items on the screen without searching the whole buffer it seems
pretty doable. Would you mind filing a feature request at
https://iterm2.com/bugs? I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment but I don't
want to lose a good idea.
Charlie Ross
2018-06-14 02:37:08 UTC
Done!
https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/issues/6786

(Also replied to you there).
Kenny Gillen
2018-06-14 06:11:11 UTC
Have you come across highlight triggers? They do exactly what you're after,
but the UI is not as easy to access as a select and right-click.

I set up a few to highlight words related to a current task on doing if I'm
looking for certain words in a set of log files etc.

https://www.iterm2.com/documentation-triggers.html

I would think selection and right-click as a good new UI feature to add one
of these quickly.

There's an existing issue for speeding up highlight triggers regarding how
and when they are rendered.

Cheers

Kenny
Charlie Ross
2018-06-15 01:41:55 UTC
Really what am after is hover, and select. Not right click. I would not
expect right click to do anything related to this.
I'd expect right click to bring up a context menu...
Kenny Gillen
2018-06-15 05:41:08 UTC
Ah, gotcha - sorry, sounded so similar to my own feature request. Perhaps
it's yet another UI for the same underlying function.

Kenny