Possible to disable opening the default session on startup?
Craig Constantine
2011-12-13 15:38:11 UTC
When iterm2 launches, it opens a session for the profile which is marked as
default. Is there any way to have the app open, and then do nothing?
...that is, not by default open any particular profile session?
Steve King
2011-12-13 19:12:03 UTC
Post by Craig Constantine
When iterm2 launches, it opens a session for the profile which is
marked as default. Is there any way to have the app open, and then do
nothing? ...that is, not by default open any particular profile session?
I'd like a way to do this, too. I want to start iTerm2 on login so the
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal window to
appear.
--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer
www.arbornetworks.com <http://www.arbornetworks.com/>
George Nachman
Craig Constantine

Steve King
2011-12-13 21:28:50 UTC
Post by George Nachman
Create a window arrangement with no windows and have that open at startup.
Huh. Well, what do you know? Thanks!
Julian Weinert
2018-04-24 10:08:57 UTC
Well... It's still the same situation after all these years, but this is
just a workaround.
I'd like to use the System Window Restoring because, when I have windows
open, I want them to still be open when I reboot.
Using the arrangements you cannot take advantage of the window system of
macOS.

Unfortunately there does not seem to be a real solution for this problem.
George Nachman
2018-04-24 15:47:17 UTC
There's an advanced pref that should do the trick, although its description
doesn't capture it. Turn on **Prefs > Advanced > Open a new window when you
click the dock icon and no windows are already open?** and see if that
helps.
Ju
George Nachman
2018-04-26 06:06:34 UTC
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do what
you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window at
startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and you
should get what you want.
Post by Ju
Strange, can't find this pref...
Post by Steve King
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal window
Post by Steve King
appear.
Ju
2018-04-29 11:40:05 UTC
I didn't have time to check again. Wow, that was fast, thanks for the great
communication!
I just downloaded the latest nightly build but unfortunately couldn't find
the setting. Did I possibly miss something or isn't it in that built yet?
Post by George Nachman
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do
what you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window
at startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and
you should get what you want.
Post by Ju
Strange, can't find this pref...
Post by Steve King
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal
window to
Post by Steve King
appear.
George Nachman
2018-04-30 19:07:09 UTC
Looks like the nightly builds are broken
I'll fix it tonight and you should
be able to get it tomorrow.
Post by George Nachman
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do
what you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window
at startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and
you should get what you want.
Post by Ju
Strange, can't find this pref...
Post by Steve King
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal
window to
Post by Steve King
appear.
Ju
2018-10-22 15:55:24 UTC
Hi George!

Sorry, I totally forgot about this. But the last updates reminded me of
this discussion.
I found the setting you added, but it doesn't do a thing or at least does
not solve my issue.

I set it to "no" but still when I restart iTerm, a new window is loaded in
addition to my hotkey window.
Am I missing anything or could another setting interfere here?

Is there anything I could provide you to help?
Thanks again and cheers
Post by George Nachman
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do
what you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window
at startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and
you should get what you want.
Post by Ju
Strange, can't find this pref...
Post by Steve King
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal
window to
Post by Steve King
appear.
George Nachman
2018-10-23 06:16:11 UTC
I found another code path that would cause this. Should be fixed in
tomorrow's nightly build.
Post by George Nachman
After looking into this more closely, I think that setting wouldn't do
what you want after all. I added a new one, "Prefs>Advanced>Open a window
at startup", which will be in tomorrow's nightly build. Set it to No and
you should get what you want.
Post by Ju
Strange, can't find this pref...
Post by Steve King
visor window is available, but I don't want a regular terminal
window to
Post by Steve King
appear.
Ju
2018-11-12 16:49:39 UTC
Nope. Still not fixed unfortunately.
Is there anything I could do to help you narrowing it down?
George Nachman
2018-11-16 21:25:15 UTC
1. Turn on **Prefs > Advanced > Start debug logging automatically when
iTerm2 is launched**
2. Relaunch, verifying that the bug is reproduced.
3. Select **iTerm2 > Toggle debug logging**
4. File an issue at https://iterm2.com/bugs and attach your debug log.