[iterm2-discuss] Version 3.2.2beta3 released - Please test!
George Nachman
2018-10-01 08:10:03 UTC
A bunch of awful bugs have been discovered in 3.2.1 (memory leaks and
crashes, primarily, as well as text rendering problems). I want to rush
3.2.2 out but it needs to get some testing first. Please install 3.2.2beta3
and give it a try and let me know if you discover any serious issues. It's
on the downloads page as usual: https://iterm2.com/downloads.html

Thanks!
Alex Balan
2018-10-02 15:50:45 UTC
Hey there,

I've tried both 3.2.2 and 3.2.2 beta3 and I have severe issues with text
rendering. It's like it has issues with refresh rate. My spec and config
follows:

2016 15" Retina MBP with 2 graphics cards. MadOS 10.14. iTerm with
transparency, font Monaco 10.

I've tried disabling/enabling GPU rendering and AntiAliasing with the same
result ;( I made two clips to show you what I mean

George Nachman
2018-10-02 21:43:25 UTC
The first video was a little too low-res for me to understand exactly what
the issue is but it looks like there's some text thickness changes just
after adjusting the font size. Is that all it is, or is the text always
hard to read? If text is always hard to read (even with the GPU renderer
off) please send a screenshot.

The second video shows a problem with ghosting that I'm working with Apple
to solve. Turn off transparency for now and it should go away.
http://youtu.be/syjecEMTbcY
http://youtu.be/W1qPsCis4Vs
Alex Balan (Jay)
2018-10-02 21:46:31 UTC
It seems transparency is, indeed, the culprit here.
- The first video shows that for a brief second when changing something (like font size) the fonts are displayed smooth and easily readable. And then they revert to a state where it’s hard to read them
- Second video shows a form of “lag” in display

Thanks for the reply
—
Jay
The first video was a little too low-res for me to understand exactly what the issue is but it looks like there's some text thickness changes just after adjusting the font size. Is that all it is, or is the text always hard to read? If text is always hard to read (even with the GPU renderer off) please send a screenshot.
The second video shows a problem with ghosting that I'm working with Apple to solve. Turn off transparency for now and it should go away.
Hey there,
2016 15" Retina MBP with 2 graphics cards. MadOS 10.14. iTerm with transparency, font Monaco 10.
I've tried disabling/enabling GPU rendering and AntiAliasing with the same result ;( I made two clips to show you what I mean
http://youtu.be/syjecEMTbcY http://youtu.be/syjecEMTbcY
http://youtu.be/W1qPsCis4Vs http://youtu.be/W1qPsCis4Vs
A bunch of awful bugs have been discovered in 3.2.1 (memory leaks and crashes, primarily, as well as text rendering problems). I want to rush 3.2.2 out but it needs to get some testing first. Please install 3.2.2beta3 and give it a try and let me know if you discover any serious issues. It's on the downloads page as usual: https://iterm2.com/downloads.html <https://iterm2.com/downloads.html>
Thanks!
George Nachman
2018-10-05 20:17:41 UTC
I may have to change how the transparency feature works. Apple is being
unhelpful about this breakage in 10.14. I am extremely frustrated, and for
now I recommend disabling transparency until a better solution can be found.