[iterm2-discuss] Changing tab colors?
Grzegorz Staniak
2018-08-08 11:37:33 UTC
Hi all,

Sorry if it's a FAQ, but I couldn't find an answer in Google -- I have just
upgraded iTerm2 (to 3.2.0), and I can see that tab color scheme became much
less readable: I get white titles on light gray, or light grey on
greyish-blue (for blue-colored tabs) etc, see attached screenshots. Can I
change the colors manually somewhere? Have I missed an option in profile
settings?

Thanks for your time,
Greg
Richard Mitchell
2018-08-08 23:54:11 UTC
I also have a question about tabs and your screenshot points out my problem
must be something I've done. I'm running Build 3.2.20180726-nightly. I no
longer get text in the tab, just a little icon of a terminal. The window
bar shows tab, but not the tab bar.
George Nachman
2018-08-10 21:12:36 UTC
The nightly build shows an icon when the title would otherwise be empty.
Check Prefs>Profiles>General and configure the session title there. If it
seems like it ought to have a title but does not please file an issue at
https://iterm2.com/bugs and include a debug log. Thanks!
Richard Mitchell
2018-08-10 21:24:54 UTC
I discovered when I changed Preferences->Profiles->General->Title to Name
(Session Name, it had been on Profile Name), the escape codes to set the
tab text started working again.

The problem is relatively (maybe a couple months but I think closer to a a
few weeks) recent.

I use Dynamic profiles. I search through all of them and did not find
where I was setting Title.

I changed each profile through the GUI to fix it, it is now working again
as it used to work. There is probably a setting somewhere I toggled that
started it, but I can't find it now.
George Nachman
Richard Mitchell
George Nachman
Richard Mitchell
2018-08-11 14:03:13 UTC
I need more help than that. I'm changing "Title:" from the "Profile Name"
to "Session Name" - that appeared to allow the escape codes to set the tab
title, previously the escape codes were having no effect. The "Name" key
in my json files have the name of the profile, which I use to select (from
a shell script) the profile I want to use.

[image: Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 09.46.48.png] <about:invalid#zClosurez>

The profile name doesn't appear any where else in the profile. One of my
profiles is named "Ubuntu", this is the only place that string occurs:

*Dyn-Ubuntu.json: "Name" : "**Ubuntu*",

Dyn-Ubuntu.json: "Non Ascii Font" : "*Ubuntu*MonoDerivativePowerline-Regular
10",

Dyn-Ubuntu.json: "Normal Font" : "*Ubuntu*MonoDerivativePowerline-Regular
12"

Certainly setting "Name" to "Name" would wreak havoc, which is the value
Title needs to work properly. "Title" only occurs in some of my profiles
as this:

Dyn-NovaMonoForPowerline.json: "Allow *Title* Reporting" : "true",

I added that a year ago, but didn't comment why.
Post by George Nachman
The key is "Name".
George Nachman
2018-08-13 02:01:33 UTC
The different configurations for the title are a little tricky to sort out
because they're a bit mask. I really need to write better docs for this
stuff! The key that controls the session title is "Title Components" and it
takes a numeric value that is the sum of one or more of the following:

Session Name: 1
Job: 2
PWD: 4
TTY: 8
Profile Name: 32
Profile & Session Name: 65
User: 128
Host: 256
Post by Richard Mitchell
[...]
Post by George Nachman
The key is "Name".
George Nachman
2018-08-13 02:02:14 UTC
I should add that the best way to figure this out is to export your profile
as JSON, change one thing, export it as JSON again, and diff the two JSON
blobs.
Post by Richard Mitchell
[...]
Post by George Nachman
The key is "Name".
hvjunk
George Nachman
2018-08-10 21:35:42 UTC
I assume you're talking about the not-selected tabs? That change was made
so the selected tab would stand out a little more. I've added a new
advanced pref for the next 3.2 release called "How prominent should the
text in a non-selected tab be when there are colored tabs in a window?".
Post by hvjunk
The problem appears to the Tab text’s colors that isn’t as
 contracting,
compared to the previous settings.
See where to turn off the tab color setting (3.2.0 at least) and the
hvjunk
2018-08-11 06:36:53 UTC
Post by George Nachman
I assume you're talking about the not-selected tabs?
Exactly!!
Post by George Nachman
That change was made so the selected tab would stand out a little more.
Although that’s great to see which tab I’m on now, the problem is that (especially as displays gets higher DPI, and the tab font sizes aren’t changeable) it’s nearly impossible for me to find the tab I’m actually needing to switch *to* given the current contrasting. ;(
George Nachman