[iterm2-discuss] Set Window Title so it sticks
Mathias Korber
2018-01-23 05:10:31 UTC
Can I set the title of the window (in which I make several tabs)
so that it sticks and does not get overwritten in any way?
Ideally by just (ctrl/right-?)clicking on the title bar?

I'd like to set this to keep separate tasks I work on separated?

Can that window title bar also be coloured for visual identification?
Stephan Hradek
2018-02-07 10:39:33 UTC
Preferences > Profiles > <choose your profile>
(Tab) Terminal > "Terminal may set tab/window title"

Is it sufficient to disable that for the profile you use?
George Nachman
2018-02-11 18:05:59 UTC
Yep, if you set that it will definitely stay put.
Mathias Koerber
2018-03-29 04:01:28 UTC
Sorry to bring this up again. Would it be possible to get
an 'easy' way to set the window title (eg by right-clicking it)
and also in there have a way to make it 'sticky' (disallow changes)
and the same for tabs?

If in the same manner one could quickly set eg
a common background color or frame or such to distinguish windows) that
would be nice

The background is that I frequently face having to interrupt one set of
tasks and start on another which will hang around for a lengthy time.
I usually start a new window for each with tabs for connections to
different hosts or parallel tasks). And then I end up with
many similarly looking windows.

if I could open a new window, set its main title (to the name,
issue,ticket#) and a background hue as yet unused, and then
open tabs in that (which could inherit the bg colour, maybe with
varying intensities of the same colour) it would make it much easier
going back and forth looking for where i left off with one task.
George Nachman
2018-04-02 16:33:58 UTC
There isn't a single mechanism to do both. I plan to revisit titles after
3.2 is out. I've opened an issue to track this request:
https://gitlab.com/gnachman/iterm2/issues/6611