[iterm2-discuss] tmux shell integration change?
'Charles Sprickman' via iterm2-discuss
2018-08-18 18:21:06 UTC
Hi all,

A few releases ago, I noticed that I’d lost my little indicator in my shells that shell integration was working went away. A few things I’ve checked:

- downloaded the newest version
- ensured that it’s being called in my .profile
- sourced the file manually to see if any errors are printed
- found any references to “/bin/bash” and corrected those to “/usr/local/bin/bash” (we’re not all on linux)

Of note, I run iterm2 locally on my Mac, then ssh (with agent forwarding) to my ssh jumpbox which is where I actually run the tmux command. This works great in general and allows me to retain all my sessions across desktop reboots, going to the coffee shop with the laptop, etc. But I’m not even seeing the shell integration indicator on that first ssh hop to my jumphost.

How do I debug this?

Also, anything in the works to make the whole set of shell integration stuff a little more cross-platform? Pretty much all the non-Linux unix variants out there do not have bash installed at /bin/bash…

Thanks,

Charles
George Nachman
2018-08-24 05:50:06 UTC
I'm not quite sure from your description how tmux is involved here. By
default shell integration is disabled when it sees TERM=screen. If you use
tmux integration you can set the environment
variable ITERM_ENABLE_SHELL_INTEGRATION_WITH_TMUX=1 to allow it to run
anyway.

If it's not a tmux-specific issue:

Check your .profile or .bash_profile and make sure the shell integration
script is still being loaded. It may be that something in .bashrc loads
after it and breaks its use of PROMPT_COMMAND or bash's debug trap, so try
removing things from .bashrc to see what's up.